Sunday, May 8, 2011

Beverly's jacket

This is Beverly's Highland Fling Plaid Jacket by Nicky Epstein
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/highland-fling-plaid-jacket

It turned out very beautiful!








I am using some Lion's Brand Fisherman's wool that I got last year at 3 skeins for $10. So not counting that, I spent $35 on some Patons wool and an additional skein of Fisherman's wool.

4/22/2011 I did at least half the back yesterday! I made the changes suggested by MaryTaylor I think I can do this in 8 days. Beverly's birthday is the 1st of May. So this will give me 9 days to finish it.

4/23/11
Last night I was thinking I could do the vertical stripes on the back in a couple of hours. mmmmm......  I still have 6 stripes to go. So I am wondering if Intarsia  would be faster. I will think on it and start again on Monday. I think it's looking great!
4/24/11
Stayed up late last night and finished the vertical stripes on the back! Today is Easter. I always give my knitting fingers a rest on Sundays. So I'll be working on it tomorrow.
4/26
I still might be able to finish by Saturday night, but most likely it will be Monday or Tuesday, which will be fine. I have decided that the duplicate stitch works better than Intarsia for a vertical stripe. I started the first front in Intarsia, but it was driving me nuts to do it that way and it wasn't looking very nice. So I'm doing the duplicate stitch.
4/28
Yesterday was not a good knitting day for this. I was on my way to town and realized I was making the i-cord on backwards on the collar. Good thing I had a baby blanket in my bag to work on. I got home and started over. I decided that because of the different colors that I would not do the i-cord till I was done, as I am just learning to do this method.

Then on the way to go for a walk I was all ready to knit and realized that I had knitted the bottom Fair Isle using the #6 needle and I didn't have my #9 needle. So I couldn't knit till I got home a couple hours later. Then I decided to start again with the #9 needle. Anyway, I finally got about half of one collar done.
4/28
Today was a good knitting day. I should be able to finish both collars and hopefully block all the pieces out this evening. Then I will only have the sleeves, the sewing up and i-cord left to do. Instead of blocking I had to take time to learn how to take out the duplicate stitch. It's easier to put in than it is to take out. The best way I found is to  turn the work to the purl side and snip the bumps of color, then turn it over and pick off the top.
5/1
I was working on the sleeve and when I was almost done I realized that I had forgotten the increases. Ouch! So I made a wedge and started to seam in onto the sleeve. I was so pleased at how nice the seam was coming along and almost done when I realized that I had sewn it on upside down!  Another ouch! I carefully took it off and put it on right. Now all that is left is a little of the second sleeve and the vertical stripes of both sleeves, the blocking and seaming up and the i-cord on the edge. I also plan to make a couple belts. My goal is to have it done by Tuesday night.
5/5 Thursday
I've been helping my son move, but the sweater is almost done. I only need to connect the back of the collar. It needs to be made a bit longer, but I've misplaced my #9 needle. So I'm a bit stuck. I've been working on Bev's baby's blanket and my next project of a topsy-turnabout Jean Greenhowe doll.  I also need to make the i-cord on the edge and sew on a hook and eye. I might finish tonight if I can find my needle! lol
5/6 Friday.
It's finished! Hooray! I have worked on it 14 days. I made a vinyl belt, just so I could take pictures with a belt. My son, Joseph. is going to make her a nice leather one soon. But as you can see, Beverly is not ready for a belt! The baby is due on the 16th!
The sleeves turned out a bit too long. I used a #8 needle on them but they're still a bit too long.
I think it's quite beautiful! And I think Beverly likes it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment