Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Jenny's scripture bag!

I have been enjoying a bit of Brazilian Embroidery on some felted things. So I thought I would share these things!
This is my daughter, Jennifer's scripture bag. There are three tatted butterflies on the other side, but since I didn't take the pictures, I missed out on getting the picture of that.
 These are the hot pads I made for my daughter-in-law, Megan. The white ones were at first one big one. I cast on 70 stitches and knit 140 rows. I knew it was too big. So I added the crocheted rings on each corner, before I felted it. Then after I felted it I cut it into four hot pads. A good number to cast on would be 40 for a nice big hot pad. the big brown one I cast on 60 stitches and knit 120 rows. After I embroidered on them they didn't lay flat. So I sprayed a bit of water on them and ironed them out and that worked great! These were tons of fun to make!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Hyrum's thing

My grandson, Hyrum, drew this picture and said "Grandma, knit this!" So here it is! No exactly the same, but it's close! I would give the pattern away if I the pattern wasn't so flawed. If I ever did it again, it would be different. I cast on too many stitches, so it became huge! I made 10 Entrelac squares of 15 stitches and went for 5 rounds. Then I realized I needed to turn it the other way or knit forever to make it taller than it was wide. So I turned it so the cast on edge was on the side instead of the bottom. I knew the skinny neck would be impossible, but I tried. I crocheted (holding 3 strands of yarn together) over pipe cleaners for the skinny arms(wings) and antennas which worked fairly well. I also added 3 pipe cleaners and stuffing into the legs. I had an old memory foam pillow and added some more stuffing and used it inside. The wings, head, and legs are connected to the pillow,not the yarn. It took lots of stitching to get it sewed up. I was thankful I knew how to mattress stitch even though I didn't actually stitch two seams together. But I could hide the stitching well. When I did the neck I picked up stitches around a few pipe cleaners and made a crocheted edge connected to the top of the body. Then I started knitting it up in the round. Unknowingly, I was knitting the inside of the round. It just felt awkward. Anyway it turn out to be reverse stockinette stitch. It was late at night and I decided that, that would be fine.  I really like the tongue! It can hide inside the mouth! I have so much to learn about making my own patterns. This was a challenge and tons of fun to accomplish! This thing just makes me smile!
This is Johnny, Hyrum's little brother. Hyrum took this picture!
This is Hyrum's picture!
Here's Hyrum, Johnny and the Thing!